City – 60.4 km2
Areas of SEZ – 3739 ha
Industrial areas – 1200 ha
Inhabitants in the city – 75 000
Inhabitants in the region – 27 000
Riga – 223 km
Lithuanian border – 50 km
Estonian border – 330 km
Russian border – 510 km
Moscow – 1080 km
Stockholm – 360 km
Rotterdam – 1700 km
Main road/railway intersections:
Liepaja – Riga (A9)
Liepaja – Klaipeda (Lithuania) (A11)
Liepaja – Jelgava – Riga
Liepaja – Jelgava – Jekabpils – Rezekne – Moscow (Russia)
Largest foreign enterprises operating in Liepaja:
- Laskana Ltd. (Latvian – Swedish joint venture) is a timber port, which offers wholesale trade of pulpwood, firewood and bio fuel and employs more than 80 people;
- Baltic Transshipment Center Ltd. (Denmark) is selling fertilizers and seeds for agriculture and provide stevedore services in the port of Liepaja and employs 40 people;
- AE Partner Ltd. (Denmark) produces control, automation and power distribution panels and employs more than 65 people.
Largest Latvian enterprises operating in Liepaja:
- JSC Liepājas Metalurgs is the largest metallurgical company in the Baltic States engaging more than 2600 people.
- JSC UPB is a construction and building material manufacturing company, which employs more than 500 people.
- JSC Liepājas osta LM is engaged in stevedore services and employs more than 260 people.
- Lauma Fabrics Ltd produces high-quality lingerie.
Labour skills and education:
Liepaja is home to 54 000 economically active residents with renowned specialists in various fields. Historically Liepaja has well-developed metalworking and textile industries. Manufacturing engages 23 % of all employees. Higher and professional education institutions prepare skilled employees in the following professions: electricians, electrical, motor and automation engineers, welders, production equipment operators, woodworking equipment operators, accountants, business management specialists, environmental specialists and more.
Incentives and developments:
Liepaja’s ice-free port is the third largest port in Latvia and offers Special Economic Zone tax allowances. Municipality dedicated to supporting entrepreneurship in Liepaja by developing infrastructure for industrial territories and providing professional advice at every step of project implementation.
Municipality can offer:
- Special Economic zone / Free port
- Developed industrial territories
- Professional workforce
- Tax allowances
Mr Martins Abols
Liepaja City Council
Phone: (+371) 63404755
For more information please visit www.investinliepaja.lv