There are sophisticated and powerful cultural traditions, extensive and diverse contemporary entertainment opportunities in Liepāja, high-quality and comprehensive cultural offer, artists performing from all over the world, and broad option choice for everyone to engage in shaping and developing Liepāja cultural life.
We are distinguished by the fact that the city is not afraid of the challenges and extravagant behaviour – we are not afraid to lead new trends, to do and implement what others are only dreaming of, and this is the reason we have also decided to participate in the competition for the title “European Capital of Culture 2027”.
- Promote economic growth in the city of Liepāja, as well as visibility and awareness among local and international audiences;
- Encourage the education and co-responsibility of Liepāja residents in social processes, communication between professionals from different sectors, developing diverse innovation processes and involving different cultural activities;
- Provide high-quality cultural, arts and cross-sectoral activities;
- Develop cultural and recreational infrastructure and facilitate the conservation and development of sites of cultural and historical heritage.
- Call for local residents to participate in the preparation of Liepāja application to win the title of the European Capital of Culture 2027. (November 3, 2020)
- Call for ideas to promote public participation and highlight environmental issues in the city of Liepāja. (January 20, 2021)
- 81% of the local Liepāja residents believe that the European Capital of Culture title will have a positive impact on the city economy. Read more. (January 13, 2021)
- On 15 October 2020, Liepāja City Council members adopted a decision to support the participation of Liepāja and the preparation of an application for the European Capital of Culture 2027 title for the pre-selection competition. (October 15, 2020)
Our management team
Liepāja City Council Chairman Janis Vilnitis, Liepāja City Council Vice-Chairman for City Development and Cooperation Gunars Ansiņš, Liepāja City Council Vice-Chairman for Strategic Planning Uldis Sesks, Liepāja City Council Vice-Chairman for Culture and Sport Atis Deksnis.
The responsible institution assigned to develop the application shall be Liepāja City Municipality Institution “Department of Culture”.
Our task team
Inta Šoriņa – Manager of the application development project
Nauris Lazdāns – responsible for the involvement of cultural institutions and for the events production
Agita Auza – responsible for implementing the cultural policy
Kristīne Niedre Lathere – responsible for education sector issues
Baiba Bartkeviča – responsible for artistic programme related issues
Aiga Kļaveniece – responsible for the implementation of urban development and planning issues
Nora Sudmale – responsible for public participation
Zita Lazdāne – responsible for communication and marketing
Ance Kolibere – responsible for international relations
Please contact the European Capital of Culture team by writing an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liepāja City Municipality Administration
Head of Public Relations and Marketing Department
Phone: +371 22 017 277