There are sophisticated and powerful cultural traditions, extensive and diverse contemporary entertainment opportunities in Liepāja, high-quality and comprehensive cultural offer, artists performing from all over the world, and broad option choice for everyone to engage in shaping and developing Liepāja cultural life.
We are distinguished by the fact that the city is not afraid of the challenges and extravagant behaviour – we are not afraid to lead new trends, to do and implement what others are only dreaming of, and this is the reason we have also decided to participate in the competition for the title “European Capital of Culture 2027”.
- Promote economic growth in the city of Liepāja, as well as visibility and awareness among local and international audiences;
- Encourage the education and co-responsibility of Liepāja residents in social processes, communication between professionals from different sectors, developing diverse innovation processes and involving different cultural activities;
- Provide high-quality cultural, arts and cross-sectoral activities;
- Develop cultural and recreational infrastructure and facilitate the conservation and development of sites of cultural and historical heritage.
The concept of Liepāja application
Considering the fact that Liepāja is a birth place of the wind, often labelled as the creator of rest and unrest and the feisty force of creativity and overwhelming peace – the concept of Liepāja application is based on the story of (un)rest. Read more.
Liepāja is getting ready
We heartfully thank all active local residents and our neighbours from surrounding municipalities, so as our friends from all over Latvia and the world, who take part in this joint creative and responsible process, contributing the unimaginable amount of bursting positive energy and ideas. Read more.
Rest and unrest
Liepāja was always used to be a city of paradoxes and opposites, but even regardless of the residence place, we are all constantly hanging between opposites. Read more.
- The Liepāja European Capital of Culture 2027 application has been approved. (May 20, 2021). Read more.
- 2027 Capital of culture candidates: Liepāja. (May 8, 2021)
- Call for ideas to promote public participation and highlight environmental issues in the city of Liepāja. (January 20, 2021)
- 81% of the local Liepāja residents believe that the European Capital of Culture title will have a positive impact on the city economy. (January 13, 2021)
- Call for local residents to participate in the preparation of Liepāja application to win the title of the European Capital of Culture 2027. (November 3, 2020)
- On 15 October 2020, Liepāja City Council members adopted a decision to support the participation of Liepāja and the preparation of an application for the European Capital of Culture 2027 title for the pre-selection competition. (October 15, 2020)
The responsible institution assigned to develop the application shall be Liepāja City Municipality Institution “Department of Culture”.
Our task team
Inta Šoriņa – Manager of the application development project
Nauris Lazdāns – responsible for the involvement of cultural institutions and for the events production
Kristīne Niedre Lathere – responsible for education sector issues
Baiba Bartkeviča – responsible for artistic programme related issues
Nora Sudmale – responsible for public participation
Zita Lazdāne – responsible for communication and marketing
Please contact the European Capital of Culture team by writing an e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Liepāja City Municipality Administration
Head of Public Relations and Marketing Department
Phone: +371 22 017 277